House-Palace of La Joya/Hoya

Description

The Casa de la Hoya is a stately building located between the Plaza de la Joya and the Picasso Gardens in Torrox. Although it bears the inscription "José Sevilla 1863" on its grille, its origin is earlier. It was the residence of the Sevilla family, dedicated to the export of wine and fruit, and reached its splendour after the union with the Medina family in the 19th century.

The house had more than 40 rooms, a chapel, a library and an interior courtyard whose columns now decorate the promenade of El Morche. Its extensive garden, designed by the creator of the Parque de Málaga, combined a French style with Mediterranean and tropical woodland.

It is said that King Alfonso XII may have spent the night there after the 1884 earthquakes, although there is no official proof. The building currently houses the Torrox Courts.

What to do in Torrox, Malaga

Archaeological Sites – Caviclum – Roman Villa

Torrox, Malaga

The Torrox Lighthouse Archaeological Site comprises a series of Roman-era remains, making it one of the most important archaeological sites in the province of Málaga.

The site, which was in use from the 1st to the 4th century AD, comprises a villa, a salted fish processing plant and kilns for pottery production, as well as a necropolis and thermal baths. Excavations carried out to date, together with historical sources, confirm that this site was an important centre for agricultural and fishing production and export, identified as the town of CAVICLUM, mentioned in the “Itinerary of Antoninus” between the towns of Sexi (Almuñécar) and Menoba (mouth of the River Vélez).

Unfortunately, the urban development of the area surrounding the lighthouse has led to the disappearance of other features that would have provided a more complete picture of this valuable site. For this reason, the preserved section is all the more interesting as a testament to our rich past.

The villa was discovered and excavated in 1905 during renovation work on the lighthouse. At that time, a large complex of rooms arranged around a peristyle was found; of this, only a small section to the west remains exposed, having been re-excavated in 1940.

The part that The building we can see today consists of several rooms arranged around a small atrium with an impluvium (a small basin for collecting rainwater). Although the building materials were modest – slate and rough ashlar bound with sand and lime – the structure had a considerably more opulent appearance, as the walls were covered with stucco painted in red and ochre. Furthermore, the floor was decorated with mosaics, some fragments of which are still preserved on site, whilst others are housed in the Archaeological Museums of Málaga and Barcelona. The villa’s heyday can be dated to around the 3rd century AD.

It is worth highlighting the importance of the mosaics found in Torrox, both for their rarity and their superb state of preservation. There are several depicting deities and animals. Also worth noting are those with geometric decoration, several of which are still to be found in the town’s archaeological site. Part of the Roman road has also been preserved.

In this part of the complex, within the former lighthouse keeper’s quarters, there is now the Interpretation Centre for the Roman Ruins at Torrox Lighthouse, which houses an interesting exhibition that helps visitors understand what this town was like in Roman times. There are usually guided tours, workshops, talks and lecture series.
Contact telephone number: 952538525

Church of Santiago el Mayor

Torrox, Malaga

Built on the base of the old church from the middle of the 20th century, the current Church of Santiago Apóstol was built in 2007. It is also home to the venerated Virgen del Carmen, who comes out of thee in procession in the month of August during the celebration of the El Morche Fair.

The House of the Inquisition

Torrox, Malaga

In Calle Baja we find the house known as the house of the Inquisition. It is a three-storey building with an interior courtyard, and its architectural typology fits in with the buildings of the period, although it is certain that throughout history it has undergone some modifications. The wooden ceiling of Mudejar origin stands out in this building, very similar to the one in the convent of Nuestra Señora de las Nieves. It is worth mentioning the basement of the house, formed by a large number of superimposed arches that form several galleries and vaults.

San Roque Chapel

Torrox, Malaga

In a small square, Plaza de San Roque, the church of San Roque is located on a former oratory, currently out of worship. This hermitage has a neo-Mudejar style, from the 19th century, a single nave and a main chapel with a hemispherical vault on pendentives. Its façade is made of exposed brick and masonry with a gable ending in a belfry and horseshoe arch, as are the two windows on the main façade.

Picasso Gardens/Poland

Torrox, Malaga

The garden of the Casa de la Hoya was commissioned by José Sevilla Gaona to a Malaga gardener, who would later participate in the creation of the Malaga Park. This caretaker lived in the house to maintain the garden's splendour.

Originally designed in the French style, it featured trimmed hedges, exotic flowers and peacocks wandering along its paths. The garden was divided into two levels connected by the 'Jupiter path', with honeysuckle and jasmine-covered arbours, decorative fountains and a variety of fruit trees and exotic plants.

Although the garden was maintained until the 1960s, with the passing of time its species disappeared, losing this historic corner that could have been a valuable green space for Torrox.

Customs House

Torrox, Malaga

The Casa de la Aduana, also known as the Casa de la Moneda, is an 18th century building located on the Calle Baja in Torrox. Its façade is notable for the iron columns on one of its corners, the result of a 19th century reform influenced by the Elizabethan style.

For centuries, it served as a tax collection point due to its strategic location on an important trade route. In the 1920s it was a party venue for the local bourgeoisie and was later divided into three dwellings.

The Town Hall acquired part of the building, which housed the "Museo Torrox en Miniatura", with models by the artist Antonio Medina Bueno, including a reproduction of Torrox in the 1950s.

Today, the Casa de la Aduana houses the tourist information point and the Interpretation Centre for local history.

en_GBEnglish

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Don't miss the best plans to enjoy the Axarquia!