This church was established in 1505, at the request of Queen Isabella, under the patronage of Our Lady of the Rosary, by order of the then Archbishop of Seville and Metropolitan of Malaga, the Dominican friar Fray Diego de Deza, (hence the possible name of the church, being the patron saint of that order), according to a Bull of Pope Innocent VIII and confirmed later, in 1510, by Pope Julius II.
It was built in the Gothic-Mudejar style, alternating with and harmonising with later Baroque additions from the 18th century. It comprises three separate buildings by cruciform pillars supporting pointed arches. In the central nave, which is taller and wider than the side panels, features 16th-century Mudejar tracery, formed by four-pointed loops derived from stars and cross-bars emerging from the edges of the panels, with the panels themselves decorated with mena and cut-out stars. Six double struts decorated with loops, resting on S-shaped corbels, reinforce the framework. The side aisles, Covered by simple cantilevered wooden trusses, there are niches to house religious images, amongst which it is worth mentioning the one in the centre of the Gospel aisle: a tripartite niche formed by a semicircular arch resting on Corinthian columns, raised on corbels resembling cut-out plates, with the keystone of the central arch decorated with a Baroque rosette.
The chancel, With a square floor plan and separated from the central nave by a pointed transverse arch, it is covered by a most interesting octagonal Mudejar-style roof truss, dating from the 16th century, decorated with motifs of ten and five stars at the centre of the ribs, and crowned at the centre of the apex by a cluster of muqarnas. The rosettes include the ‘limas mohamares’ that cover the joints between the ribs… To the right of the chancel is the sacristy, through which one gains access to the bell tower, which has a square plan and is slightly rotated in relation to the church.
At the foot of the central nave stands the choir, built in 1784, with a tall wooden balustrade; spanning the width of the church’s three naves, supported by ribbed vaults resting on transverse arches which, in turn, rest on cut-out slabs. Through a Through an opening at the foot of the church, in the Epistle aisle, one can access the baptistery.
The two chapels of the church of El Borge are situated in the chancel and the Gospel aisle respectively. Both, with an octagonal floor plan, constitute the main 18th-century Baroque contribution to the church, alongside the choir. The main niche features recesses on the inside and an undecorated eight-ribbed vault; on the ground floor is the crypt, which was accessed from the church, a small chamber whose walls are lined with several levels of brick niches, housing the gravestones of those originally buried in the church, which were relocated during a previous restoration. The second chapel, which is smaller in size, has the same layout as the previous one: a square base surmounted by an octagonal upper section.
In The exterior is characterised by its masonry structure with brick rustication. The double-basin Mudejar corbels on the eaves of the central nave and the chancel are particularly noteworthy. The The bell tower consists of two sections separated by a simple row of brick imposts. In the upper section, unlike the lower section which is entirely unadorned, there are two openings with semicircular arches on the north-east and south-east sides, where the bells are housed. On the north façade, which faces the Plaza de la Constitución, is the clock with a circular dial. The tower has a hipped roof with Arabic-style tiles and a sawtooth eave.