The current parish church It seems to have been built in the early 17th century and extended some 16 years later, funded by the townspeople and the Bishop of Málaga.
On the church façade there is a plaque which, alongside the coat of arms of the Diocese of Málaga, reads as follows: «BY THE DEANS AND CHAPTER, WITH DR JOPH JILES PRETEL AS THEIR VISITOR. ACABOZE, YEAR 1658»; a tombstone which may provide evidence of the date of the temple’s final consecration. In subsequent years, it underwent various alterations.
The temple features three high-rise buildings separated by semicircular arches resting on square pillars. The ceiling is wooden and, whilst not excessively ornate, exudes elegance and beauty. The transept and the high altar are covered by four cross vaults. Built in 1725, there is a rood screen at the foot of the church. Of particular note are the altars dedicated to Our Father Jesus and Our Lady of Sorrows.
As artistic pieces Of particular interest are a late 18th-century display case, made of white silver with paired columns resting on plinths at the corners and decorated with gilded silver figures, and a large semi-circular oil painting from the same century depicting the Assumption. The church’s façade is made of brick and is of no particular significance. However, this parish was once considerably wealthier; the Spanish Civil War and a lack of care and interest in its artistic and valuable artefacts contributed to the loss of altarpieces of some artistic value and the majority of its silverware. Extensive renovation work is currently underway at this parish church.